Monday, May 2, 2016

Reflective Post


Throughout my experience in EME2040 I have had the opportunity to accomplish many learning outcomes that are valuable to my teacher portfolio. I was able to accomplish these things with the help of the class textbook and the helpful examples, links, and videos in each module.

In accomplishing a website evaluation, critique, and rubric I was able to achieve the learning outcome of being able to evaluate and critique software/hardware tools to determine its utility in a K-12 setting. This assignment was great practice for creating rubrics to grade the students of my future classroom. I always thought the rubrics were to help the teacher but the textbook gave me a better understanding of how they actually help the students by providing them with "A clear framework for how assignments will be evaluated as part of the course grading process and specific activities or accomplishments to complete to achieve a learning level, score, or grade". The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly provided in the module was a huge help to give me a basic idea on what to include in my rubric and what to look for when evaluating web sources. I now feel confident in evaluating websites and creating rubrics.

I participated in a group project creating an instructional strategy wiki which accomplished the learning outcome of creating a portfolio with samples reflecting ways technology can support classroom management, administration, and teaching in a K-12 classroom. Before EME2040 I was not familiar with wikis. The textbook mentioned their importance to technology enhanced classrooms but I still did not understand the full concept to the extend that I did after finishing a group wiki. I did find it a little challenging but feel I would be able to do it again if needed. The module did have a helpful introduction video but I felt the word document of Marzano's 9 strategies was more helpful to the group member doing the identifying similarities and differences strategy than any other group member.

Participating in a collaborative lesson plan helped me practice evaluating and critique software tools but also helped me accomplish the learning outcomes of developing an Internet-based project that uses technology as both a medium and a goal of K-12 instruction and analyzing and evaluating a selection of technological tools for assisting students with special/diverse needs or English Language Learners, linking The technology to specific outcomes/strategies for teaching these students. The lesson plan template and sample in the module really helped with this assignment. I saved the template for future reference and know it will come in handy for the many lesson plans I have ahead of me. For me personally I think this assignment would have been better as an individual project instead of as a group. It was challenging to put everyone's ideas in one plan when each person wanted a different topic and different technological tools. I am not sure if as teachers we will all have to come up with lesson plans for our grade level together, but if we do then this assignment was good practice.

I am really excited to use WebQuests in my future classroom. It was a lot of work to create but I am very proud of my first WebQuest. The module suggested Quest Garden and it was really helpful and easy. I will use Quest Garden for all of my future WebQuests. Accomplishing creating a WebQuest helped me practice the learning outcomes of developing and internet based project that uses technology and reflecting ways technology can support classroom management, administration, and teaching. 





The textbook talks a lot about teacher webpages being great for communication with students and parents. After creating my own teacher webpage I was able to see the that for myself. I really enjoyed practicing the learning outcomes of developing an internet based project that uses technology, evaluating/critiquing software tools, and creating a portfolio with samples reflecting ways technology can support classroom management, administration, and teaching in a K-12 classroom during this project. I found Weebly to be very difficult to customize the templates. I ended up using Wix which was super easy to use and I plan to use that site for all future websites I make. The module has a video of an intro to weebly but it is very different from weebly's current site layout. Maybe an updated video could help future students use Weebly but I highly recommend Wix. 

All in all I really enjoyed this class and look forward to using my new knowledge in my future technological classroom! 

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

WIX. (2015, November 02). Create Your Stunning Website With Wix.com - Website Builder. Retrieved May 02, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzu_bpCcfuA

Experience Julius Caesar quote hd. (2015, January 28). Retrieved May 02, 2016, from http://quotesideas.com/experience-julius-caesar-quote-hd/


No comments:

Post a Comment